Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Puzzling crossword

My treaty start to the morning is to curl up with a mug of coffee and do the crosaire (1). This morning I finished it all, which pleased me greatly. But I don't get my final clue, which was 25 down:

25 down) What one expects to hear from the end of 9 across (6 letters)

The clues are: _ A _ O _ S

Now, 9 across (2) was 'awaits', linked to 11 down (3), which was 'alight'.

I totally guessed 'carols', which is apparently right, but I have no idea why. And that's niggling me...

________
Endnotes
(1) the Irish Times cryptic crossword
(2) 9 across. It's what it is hanging around to make it not 11 down matter, by the sound of it (6)
(3) 11 down. Get down, having been fired (6)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi hon. I think the answer to the clue is batons - to do with weight!!!!

Orlaith said...

Oh that fits much better than 'carols' - I shall sleep easy tonight! Thank you so very much :)