Friday, July 07, 2006

The More-than-O.K. Corral

Yesterday evening the sea looked choppy - little white horses everywhere. Then I realised they weren't behaving like normal baby waves...

Dolphins.

It turns out the sea around my area is a nature reserve. No fishing boats are allowed, the fish flourish, and pods of dolphin come in to feed.

I bounced down to the big JC statue (it was on the cusp between tourist & reprobate) to have a closer look.

There were hundreds of dolphin barrelling around. The sea was just alive with movement. As you can imagine, the real action was going on underwater; I was catching the trace of their backs as they turned around to corral more fish.

And even though there was no co-ordinated spinning or daring rescue attempts like on tv, it was truly awe-inspiring.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing- might be time to get diving again, although maybe not when a couple of hundred dolphins are in full fishing mode - potential confusion with mackerel not a pleasant thought..

Alternatively, if you could just work out how to train the dolphins to fish for you, you might have a whole new business enterprise ahead of you,

Sara

Orlaith said...

Genius - I like your thinking!
If they can learn to do synchronised swimming they can certainly learn to fish and drop their catch in a little net I'll be holding over the side of the boat. Off to learn more...

Anonymous said...

Listen - if they learn to do synchronised swimming then we (humans) have other problems - for they will surely take over the world!! Today Funchal, next, they take Manhattan!! (Of course, in Dolphin-speak that would come out as: kakkkakkakakakakakak!!! sneeeeep!!! Brakadakadakadak dak dak!)

Orlaith said...

You have a gift for Dolphin-speak!
So maybe synchronised swimming should be a flag for would-be despots, like the way serial killers were all fascinated by roadkill when they were kids.
You give me pause for thought...

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! Until I read the comments romantically I had visualised you as Marina from Stingray (maybe before your time!)feet flitting behind you leaving a trail of effervescence - the dream was shattered as the scene turned to something reministant of 'Jaws'? May I suggest you don't wear a turquoise neoprine wetsuite when diving?

Anonymous said...

Can we organise some swimming with dolphins for the kids? I was waiting until Diney, but hey, if you and Madeira can provide, who am I to say no. You are hilarious

Tara

Orlaith said...

I loved Marina! Of course, now I have her wafting theme tune stuck in my head - thanks for that!
Wait until I get in there snorkelling with them - it'll be like The Big Blue. In that I'll be treading water waiting for Jean Marc Barr to swim along :)

Orlaith said...

Tara, you don't mean this year do you?? Can we wait until they're old enough to know what a dolphin is?
Believe me, I'd all for avoiding any Disney visit, but I'm just not sure they'd fully appreciate the experience...

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested