Returning to the subject of dolls, I came across the perfect doll for the book via Jonathan Carroll's site. In brief:
- it's called The Writer
- it's from the 1770s
- it was one of three automatons made by fancy watch/mechanical bird maker Jaquet Droz
- there's debate over whether it should be considered an android or not
- it can be programmed to write up to 40 characters
- apparently the inventor used to get it to write 'Cogito ergo sum' to slag off Descartes
- its head and eyes follow the text as it writes. Creepy.
The Jaquet Droz business is now owned by Swatch.