Thursday, August 16, 2007

You say carottes, I say cenouras...

I think my brain's foreign language section can only give easy access to one language at a time. My first few days in France I kept starting sentences in Portuguese, and here I'm doing the reverse. Today I stared at the salad counter in the local take-away, totally unable to remember the Portuguese for carrots.

Luckily, going to the framing shop (I had bought a piece of calligraphy at Plum Village) does not require much eloquence; basic pointing skills are all you need. The nice Framing Shop Lady consulted a zillion price lists, but this time I wasn't worried. She totted it up, then gave me a 15% reduction for no particular reason (unless I'm now a regular customer since I shopped there - you know - that one time). She phoned me a couple of hours later to let me know it was ready. When I went to pay, I was charged even less...

It's been a quiet, settling-back-down-to-work kind of day. Weather is lovely - just the type of evening for a big bowl of home-made salsa and a V&T. I am soooo easily pleased.

No comments: