Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Great Indoors

The thing about living an outdoorsy lifestyle is that sometimes the outdoors comes in to see how you're living.

The other week I startled 'something' that was on the floor of my bedroom, and it took refuge in my wardrobe. It moved quickly: a scuttle motion, but with padded feet. I said 'You have got to be kidding' through the hands I'd clamped over my mouth, then left the apartment for a few hours.

Yep, avoidance is often the best tactic. So I reasoned that it was probably only a lizard, and they don't phase me at all when I see them in the outside world. Yesterday's creature was definitely a lizard: I went to feed the goldfish and a startled lizard scrabbled from behind the bowl and darted over to hide amongst the oils & vinegars I keep by the cooker.

I did my best to rationalize: they're more scared of you than you are of them... what harm could they actually do you blah blah blah.

And then I closed the kitchen door behind me, and went out for beer and cake.

No comments: